ARF has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk, 260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10016
Please send resume and cover letter with “ARF” in the subject line of your email to:
Guided by the core values of compassion, integrity and dedication, the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons (ARF) has grown from a small-town shelter to a regional force in animal rescue on the East End, providing sanctuary and quality care for dogs and cats until loving, permanent homes can be found. With an unwavering commitment to supporting the community, ARF also delivers medical care and training services to keep animals safe and healthy in their homes, provides free spay/neuter services for community cats, and distributes pet food to families in need through local food pantries.
As ARF approaches its 50th anniversary in 2024, the Forever Home campaign was launched to ensure ARF’s future for the next 50 years. With two years remaining in the campaign, ARF has raised $26M and is nearing completion on state-of-the-art facility improvements that will allow ARF to increase its capacity and support services. These improvements include the Richard Wells McCabe Welcome Center with renovated catteries and homes for kittens, small dogs and puppies and a redesigned lobby, and meet and-greet rooms; a new building that will house 40 dogs and provide additional outdoor exercise areas; and, the William P. Rayner Training Center, an 8400-square- foot facility that will greatly increase ARF’s capacity to provide animal training to both the public and ARF’s adopters.
ARF is seeking a dynamic leader with a commitment to its mission, goals, and values to be its next Executive Director/CEO. The ideal candidate will bring a solid history of managing operations and finances, creating, and implementing strategic planning, Board governance and expansion, and staff development, as well as possess solid experience in fostering the growth of a sustainable organization. The ED/CEO will be a fundraising advocate who is able to build upon ARF’s past successes and provide a strong vision for its future.
The ED/CEO will oversee ARF’s administration, operations, programs, and funding. Reporting to and working closely with the Board, the ED/CEO must have the capacity to articulate a vision, present it to the Board, and build consensus around organizational goals and objectives. They will have an entrepreneurial spirit and a big-picture mindset, be adept at building programs that will involve and energize the community and donors, and be a passionate advocate for the rescue, transport, training, and protection of the health and well-being of animals in ARF’s care.
- In partnership with the Board, provide leadership for ARF maintaining its position as the lead animal rescue organization on the East End
- Direct the operations of the organization, including the management and efficiency of its day-to-day workings, as well as administrative policies and procedures
- Manage and develop staff within a culture of collaboration, openness, and inclusivity
- Oversee recruitment and hiring of staff
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the Board with timely and regular communications
- Engage the Board in meaningful participation that will boost a culture of fundraising, support, and engagement
- Together with staff, Board, and key stakeholders, extend the organization’s reach into new communities by building relationships and collaborations with peer organizations
- Maintain financial oversight including annual budgets and quarterly financial reports; set short- and long-term financial goals and expectations
- Lead the design, implementation, and refinement of ARF’s programs and services
- In collaboration with the CDO, manage a multi-faceted fundraising strategy that includes creative, as well as traditional, funding strategies, techniques, and approaches
- Serve as the public face and spokesperson for ARF in the community and among diverse constituencies
- Work with the marketing/communications director to implement strategic reporting to stakeholders that effectively conveys the mission, vision, and goals of ARF
- Oversee the operations and budget of the ARF thrift store
All candidates should have proven leadership, fundraising, and management experience as well as:
- Eight or more years of senior non-profit management experience
- The ability to provide visionary and credible leadership and advocacy for ARF to ensure its continued excellence and the provision of quality programs and services
- Fundraising skills with proven success in the role of securing individual gifts, seeking corporate support, and overseeing grantmaking, fundraising events, and donor campaigns
- Entrepreneurial and innovative leadership skills that demonstrate success in growing an organization while providing support of daily operations
- Solid experience working with and supporting a Board of directors, including Board development and governance
- Experience maintaining a financially stable and sustainable organization including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to form strategic relationships both internally and externally, including with a highly committed and active Board
- The ability to work collaboratively with staff, fostering collegiality and a positive work culture
- Demonstrated success in working with a committed volunteer pool, as well as facilitating collaboration and cooperation among diverse groups
- Superior organizational skills with the proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement as well as address and solve problems as they arise
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities, including persuasive presentation skills to reach diverse audiences
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism
- Deep, personal commitment to the mission and vision of ARF
- If not already knowledgeable, a willingness to learn about the challenges of companion animal rescue and adoption, delivering quality medical services to animals, as well as the issues that affect pets and their caregivers in the home
- Ability to work on nights and weekends, especially in the summer; must be willing to relocate to the East End
ARF offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
For more information on ARF, please visit their website at: https://arfhamptons.org
All positions at ARF are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.